--Today is the Feast of Saint Matthew--
Saint and Major Saints' Days
You are no longer strangers and sojourners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God. Ephesians 2:19
Confession of Sin Most merciful God,
I confess that I have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what I have done, and by what I have left undone. I have not loved you with my whole heart; I have not loved my neighbors as myself. I am truly sorry and I humbly repent. For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ, have mercy on me and forgive me; that I may delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your Name. Amen.
Almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us all our sins through our Lord Jesus Christ, strengthen us in all goodness, and by the power of the Holy Spirit keep us in eternal life. AmenThe Invitatory and Psalter Lord, open our lips. And our mouth shall proclaim your praise Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen Alleluia
The Invitatory Psalms
The following Antiphon may be sung or said with the Invitatory Psalm
Venite Psalm 95:1-7
Come, let us sing to the Lord;
let us shout for joy to the Rock of our salvation.
Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving
and raise a loud shout to him with psalms.
For the Lord is a great God,
and a great King above all gods.
In his hand are the caverns of the earth,
and the heights of the hills are his also.
The sea is his, for he made it,
and his hands have molded the dry land.
Come, let us bow down, and bend the knee,
and kneel before the Lord our Maker.
For he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture and the sheep of his hand.
Oh, that today you would hearken to his voice!
Psalm Chapter 119
(45) And I will walk at liberty, For I seek Your precepts. (46) I will speak of Your testimonies also before kings, And will not be ashamed. (47) And I will delight myself in Your commandments, Which I love. (48) My hands also I will lift up to Your commandments, Which I love, And I will meditate on Your statutes.
(49) Remember the word to Your servant, Upon which You have caused me to hope. (50) This is my comfort in my affliction, For Your word has given me life. (51) The proud have me in great derision, Yet I do not turn aside from Your law. (52) I remembered Your judgments of old, O LORD, And have comforted myself.
(53) Indignation has taken hold of me Because of the wicked, who forsake Your law. (54) Your statutes have been my songs In the house of my pilgrimage. (55) I remember Your name in the night, O LORD, And I keep Your law. (56) This has become mine, Because I kept Your precepts.
(57) You are my portion, O LORD; I have said that I would keep Your words. (58) I entreated Your favor with my whole heart; Be merciful to me according to Your word. (59) I thought about my ways, And turned my feet to Your testimonies. (60) I made haste, and did not delay To keep Your commandments.
(61) The cords of the wicked have bound me, But I have not forgotten Your law. (62) At midnight I will rise to give thanks to You, Because of Your righteous judgments. (63) I am a companion of all who fear You, And of those who keep Your precepts. (64) The earth, O LORD, is full of Your mercy; Teach me Your statutes.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.
Isaiah Chapter 8
(15) And many among them shall stumble; They shall fall and be broken, Be snared and taken.' (16) Bind up the testimony, Seal the law among my disciples. (17) And I will wait on the LORD, Who hides His face from the house of Jacob; And I will hope in Him. (18) Here am I and the children whom the LORD has given me! We are for signs and wonders in Israel From the LORD of hosts, Who dwells in Mount Zion.
(19) And when they say to you, 'Seek those who are mediums and wizards, who whisper and mutter,' should not a people seek their God? Should they seek the dead on behalf of the living? (20) To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
The Word of the Lord. Thanks be to God.
Romans Chapter 10
(5) For Moses writes about the righteousness which is of the law, 'The man who does those things shall live by them.' (6) But the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, 'Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?' ' (that is, to bring Christ down from above) (7) or, ' 'Who will descend into the abyss?' ' (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). (8) But what does it say? 'The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart' (that is, the word of faith which we preach):
(9) that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (10) For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (11) For the Scripture says, 'Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.' (12) For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him.
(13) For 'whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.' (14) How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? (15) And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: 'How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!'
The Gospel of the Lord.
Thanks be to God.
?A canticle is a hymn, or other Christian song of praise with lyrics taken from biblical texts